Last year, we wrote about GSA’s plan to create a new SIN for Shipping Containers under the GSA Shipping, Packaging, and Packing Supplies Schedule 81 I B. After issuing an RFI for the proposed SIN, GSA revised their original plan. Instead of creating a new SIN, GSA modified SIN 617 11 to include shipping containers. SIN 617 2, which originally included container systems and metal drums, was also revised in the process. The changes were released on April 12, 2019 with Refresh 23.
GSA Schedule 81 I B SIN Changes
|Previous SIN Name||Current SIN Name|
|617 2||Bottles, jars, boxes, cartons, crates, container systems & metal drums||Bottles, jars, boxes, cartons, and crates|
|617 11||Maintenance, Repair and Modification of Containers||Shipping, Cargo, Freight, and Storage Containers; ISO and Non ISO Containers; Container Systems; Metal Drums; Maintenance, Repair and Modification of Container Solutions|
SIN 617 11 New Description
SIN 617 11 – Shipping, Cargo, Freight, and Storage Containers; ISO and Non ISO Containers; Container Systems; Metal Drums; Maintenance, Repair and Modification of Container Solutions –
- Acquisition of International Standards Organization (ISO) and non-ISO containers including flat racks (platforms), open-top, dry freight, insulated, collapsible, inflatable, refrigerated, and tank containers; and metal drum solutions. The Commercial and Military nomenclature may be referred to as BI-CONS, TRICONS and QUADCONS. Container names are based on Twenty Foot Equivalent Units (TEU).
- Maintenance, repair and modification of new and existing containers including but not limited to racks, cages, shelving, HVAC, electricity, refrigeration, configuration kits, access doors, windows, locking mechanisms, bulletproofing, security systems, and ventilation features. Kits/supplies/tools (products) for the modification/repair/customization of freight/cargo containers may be purchased under this SIN.
- Container and related products and services, not elsewhere classified (NEC). Ancillary products and services including but not limited to recertification, restenciling, decals, proper installation, operation, or maintenance of these containers, restrapping and/or acquisitions not elsewhere classified under container management such as Container Safety Certification (CSC) or Approved Continuous Examination Program (ACEP) requirements, tracking devices and ancillary shipment services.
Notes on the Revised SIN 617 11
- Shipping Containers and Metal Drums Now Fall Under SIN 617 11 Instead of 617 2
- Prefabricated Building Structures and Containers Intended for “Human Occupancy” Do Not Qualify Under SIN 617 11
- Companies Must List NAICS Code 332439 on their SAM Registration to Qualify for SIN 617 11
- NAICS Code 332439 is a New Addition Based Upon Market Research Conducted by GSA
- In Fiscal Year 2018, Companies Took in Nearly $120 Million in Contract Awards through NAICS 332439
- The Defense Logistics Agency (DLA) Accounted for Approximately 42% of NAICS Code 332439 Awards, followed by the Army with 20%, Air Force with 15%, and Navy with 14%.